Free Fillable Forms
Free Fillable Forms is an electronic version of the Virginia resident return (Form 760) that does math for you, but offers only basic guidance to help you complete your return. There are no restrictions for age or income.
Use Free Fillable Forms if you're:
- comfortable doing your own taxes with little guidance,
- a Virginia full-year resident,
- preparing a current year return
Part-year residents and nonresidents will need to use another option to prepare and file their return.
Fillable Forms closes for the year after Nov. 1, 2018.
Make sure you prepare, file and print your return before the program closes. After Nov. 1, you will no longer be able to modify, print, or file your 2017 return.
Before you start, make sure you have:
- a copy of your current year federal tax return
- all income and tax statements you received (W-2s,1099-Gs, 1099-MISCs, etc.)
- any current year estimated tax payment amounts
- your bank routing and account numbers if using direct deposit
- a valid email address
Avoid common rejects
To avoid some of the most common reasons for a rejected return, make sure you provide the following:
- Locality code (3 digits)
- Check the checking or savings indicator for a direct deposit refund
- Birth date(s)
- Complete and correct email address
Important - You haven't filed if Virginia Tax rejects your return. You should receive an email within 48 hours from email@example.com, letting you know if we've accepted your return. If it was rejected, you'll need to log back into your account, correct any errors, and resubmit before the filing due date.
Electronic filing limitations
While there are no restrictions for using Free Fillable Forms to prepare your return, you won't be able to file online if you claim any of the following:
- more than 3 additions, subtractions, deductions or contributions
- the Credit for Taxes Paid to Another State on the Schedule OSC
- any of the 9 credits that require supporting documentation on the Schedule CR:
- Agricultural Best Management Practices Credit
- Biodiesel and Green Diesel Fuels Tax Credit
- Virginia Coal Employment and Production Incentive Tax Credit
- Coalfield Employment Enhancement Tax Credit
- Conservation Tillage Equipment Credit
- Enterprise Zone Act Credit
- Foreign Source Retirement Income Tax Credit
- Precision Fertilizer and Pesticide Application Equipment Credit
- Vehicle Emissions Testing Equipment Credit
- Waste Motor Oil Burning Equipment Credit
- any W-2 or 1099 statements other than:
You can still use the software to fill out your return, but you'll need to print and mail your return instead of filing online.
Free Fillable Forms FAQs - more guidance, including browser limitations and computer requirements
- Please note that by clicking on the Free Fillable Forms link, you will leave our website and enter a privately owned website created, operated and maintained by a private company.