Purchase Qualifying Merchandise without Paying Sales Tax in Virginia
Get ready to stock up on qualifying school supplies, clothing, hurricane and emergency preparedness supplies, and certain Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products without paying state sales tax. The Virginia sales tax holiday starts at 12:01 am on Friday, Aug. 3, 2018, and ends at 11:59 pm on Sunday, Aug. 5, 2018.
Some of the items that are exempt from sales tax on Aug. 3-5, 2018, include:
- School supplies, clothing and footwear:
- Each new or used school supply item with a price of $20 or less; and
- Each new or used article of clothing or footwear with a price of $100 or less;
- Hurricane preparedness products:
- Portable generators that are $1,000 or less per item;
- Gas-powered chainsaws that are $350 or less per item;
- Chainsaw accessories that are $60 or less per item; and
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items that are $60 or less per item; and
- EnergyStar™ and WaterSense™ products:
- Qualifying EnergyStar™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use that are priced at $2,500 or less per item.
For more information, and detailed lists of eligible items, see our Virginia Sales Tax Holiday webpage.