Generally, if you have business activity in the Commonwealth of Virginia, you need to register your business with Virginia Tax.
Before registering with us, most new businesses will need to get a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS, and some will need to register with the State Corporation Commission. You'll need your EIN to start your registration with us.
- If you plan to hire employees, you can register with the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) at the same time you register with Virginia Tax. VEC is responsible for collecting unemployment tax.
- The online registration process will ask you for information that pertains to the type of business you have. You can start the registration process, save a draft, and come back later to complete your registration.
When you have completed your online registration, you will be assigned a Virginia Tax 15-digit account number. It is important that you include your Virginia Tax account number on all tax returns, payments, and other information you file.
- If your business will be collecting sales tax, a Certificate of Registration is provided at the end of your registration process. This is your permit to collect sales tax, and issue and receive exemption certificates. The Certificate of Registration must be displayed at your physical place of business.
If you are unable to register online, download the Business Registration Form (R-1) to mail in or fax.
New business resources:
- The Virginia Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD) provides a one-stop service for technical assistance related to business formation, access to capital, workforce development, and entrepreneurial workshops. SBSD provides an online interactive Business One Stop system to assist you in registering your business with several Virginia state and local agencies at one time.
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- Virginia Economic Development Partnership
If you employ household service employees, and are liable to withhold Virginia income taxes from their wages, you may need to register as a household employer with both Virginia Tax and VEC.
Learn more about Household Employer Withholding Requirements and who needs to register.