If you are a victim of identity theft, need to file a Virginia income tax return, and want the added protection of a Virginia Tax personal identification number (PIN), send us the following:
- A letter explaining how your personal information was compromised
- Your full legal name
- Your Social Security number or tax ID number issued by the IRS
- Your current address
- A clear copy of a government-issued ID card, such as a Virginia driver’s license, Virginia identification card issued by DMV, or a voter registration card with your current name and address
- Documents showing you’re a victim of identity theft. This could be a letter from an employer, an insurance company, a hospital, a broker, or a police report if one was filed.
- Daytime phone number where you can be reached
Where to mail your PIN request:
Department of Taxation
Compliance Section, RAP Unit 1
PO Box 27003
Richmond, VA 23261-7003
Once we review your information, we will contact you if we have questions, or we will mail a PIN to the address provided before filing season starts.