On December 21, 2010, the Department of Taxation, in consultation with the Virginia Film Office, published guidelines regarding the Virginia Motion Picture Production Tax Credit (Public Document 10-281). These guidelines state that, as necessary, additional guidelines and rules will be published and posted on Virginia Tax's website.
During the 2014 Session, the General Assembly enacted legislation which increased the credit cap and requires the Department to provide certain information to the General Assembly on request. Accordingly, on March 23, 2015, the Department published updated Motion Picture Production Tax Credit Guidelines to reflect the changes set forth in this legislation, and to provide updated guidance regarding the credit.
House Bill 460 (2014)
- HB 460 Text as passed the House and Senate
- HB 460 PDF of text as passed the House and Senate (PDF)
- HB 460 Fiscal Impact Statement
House Bill 861 (2010)
Senate Bill 257 (2010)
Guideline Development Documents
- Motion Picture Production Tax Credit - Update to Existing Guidelines Workplan (PDF)
- Final Motion Picture Production Tax Credit Guidelines (PDF)