A new law passed by the General Assembly now requires tax professionals to report any breach of taxpayer data within a “reasonable time period" once the breach is discovered. If someone gains unauthorized access to personal and sensitive tax-related information that belongs to your clients or employees, you are legally obligated to notify both Virginia Tax and the affected parties as soon as possible.
If you have reason to suspect that your records may have been compromised, call our Tax Professionals Identity Theft Information line at 804.404.4232.
When you call, you’ll be directed to voicemail and asked to leave a message with the following information:
- Name of your company
- Name and phone number of the person we should contact, and
- Tax Professional’s Identification Number (PTIN).
We’ll call you back within 24 hours to ask for more specific information, including:
- Date the breach occurred
- How many people were affected
- What type of information was compromised
- Tax professional’s contact information–phone and email, and
- Any information pertinent to addressing the specific situation, which may include the names and tax identification numbers of the impacted taxpayers or employees.
Once we receive your notification, we’ll work with you to determine what further action is needed.