File your Virginia individual income taxes for free
If you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) made less than $64,000 in 2016, you qualify to file both your federal and state returns for free.
To be sure you file your Virginia income tax return for free:
- Choose the software you want to use directly from the Free File page. If you access software from somewhere else - including the IRS's Free File page - you may be charged a fee to file your state return.
- Review the qualifications (age, income, military experience, etc.) for each software option to make sure you're eligible to use that software for free.
- If you've used the paid version of the software in the past, you may need to create a new account to file for free.
If you don’t qualify for Free File, you may still be eligible to file your return for free using Free Fillable Forms if:
- you're a Virginia resident (filing Form 760 and related schedules), and
- you're comfortable doing your taxes yourself
Free Fillable Forms is an electronic version of the Form 760 and related schedules. Fillable Forms does math, but offers only basic help and error-checking.