Why did you get this letter?
We received an individual income tax return with your name or Social Security number, and need additional documentation to support the information claimed on the return.
If you received this letter, it doesn’t mean you did anything wrong. It’s just an extra step we’re taking to make sure refunds go to the right person.
Respond to your letter
Responding online is the fastest way to verify your information. We recommend using a desktop or laptop.
- If you (or someone authorized to file on your behalf) did not file the return we received, let us know here.
- If you did file the return, follow the tips below to make sure you have everything we need before you respond.
Tips for responding successfully - what you need to respond to your letter
Refer to the 2nd page of your letter for a checklist of requested documentation.
- Gather all of your documents. (If you filed a joint return, make sure to include your spouse’s information.)
- Make clear, digital copies of each document. (Tip: Use your phone to take a legible photo if you don’t have a scanner.)
- Make sure each file meets upload requirements:
- Save to an accepted file type: PDF, JPEG, PNG, Bitmap, TIFF, or GIF
- Make sure each file is less than 10 MBs in size (Tip: If you included multiple documents within a single file, try resaving as individual files)
- Do not include spaces in file names (Good file names: smith-w2.pdg; smith_w2.pdg; smithw2.pdf)
- Check that all requested information is clear and easy to read.
- Organize your files in one place, so they’re easy to find when you’re ready to upload.
Ready to respond?
Have your letter in-hand (you’ll need your Correspondence ID found at the top of your letter).
You can also respond by mail or fax. Just send the letter back to us with all of the requested information.
Virginia Department of Taxation
RAP Unit 1
P.O. Box 27003
Richmond, VA 23261-7003
How can you make sure the letter isn't a scam?
Check that the address and fax number on the letter match those above, and that the URL to respond online is www.tax.virginia.gov/didyoufile or www.tax.virginia.gov/didnotfile.
If you're still concerned, you can always call Customer Services to verify that we sent you this letter.